Sunday, June 24, 2018

usage - Words/characters for fast food meal sizes: 並, 大, 特


When dining at Yoshinoya I never know how to ask for the size meal I want.


Their sizes are 並, 大, and 特.


I only know that "大" means big, but it also has two readings so I have no idea whether to ask for "dai" or "ooki". And since the word/character I know for "small" is not included, I assume they are using a similar gimmick to that seen in Western chains where there is no small but only "regular", "medium", "large"... sometimes up to the infamous "venti" (-:


Then again maybe there are various ways of writing "small".



So are these standard words or gimmicky like "venti", what do they mean literally, how do I know which reading to use for each, how would I say them in an order? Are these same sizes used just about everywhere in Japanese restaurants or are there some other terms I should also know?



Answer



Although 並(nami), 大(dai) will work in most of the places, others would depend on each restaurant.




  • For Small - 小 (shou), ミニ (mini), 半分 (hanbun), 少なめ (sukuname), S (エス)...




  • For Normal - 並 (nami), 普通 (futsuu), 中(chuu), M (エム)...





  • For Big - 大 (dai), 大盛り (oomori), 多め (oome), L (エル)...



    • For Special Big - 1.5盛 (ittengo mori) (sukiya invented it)




  • For Extra Big - 特盛 (tokumori), 特大 (tokudai)...





  • For Extreme Big - 鬼盛 (oni mori), (超)巨大盛 (chou kyodai mori), バカ盛り (baka mori), 激盛り (geki mori), メガ盛り (mega mori)....




No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...