Monday, June 25, 2018

gentiles - December greeting responses




How do you respond when greeted, during the Winter "holiday season" by a non-Jewish acquaintance with each of the following?



  • Happy Chanuka (in proximity to Chanuka)


  • Happy Chanuka (not in proximity to Chanuka)

  • Enjoy your holiday.

  • I hope your holiday is full of light. (I actually got this one yesterday.)

  • Happy Holidays / Season's Grettings

  • Happy New Year

  • Merry Christmas


In that vein, when composing written correspondence this time of year to a non-Jewish acquaintance, such that a seasonal greeting might be expected, what such greeting (if any) do you insert?



Answer



I will assume that this non-Jewish acquaintance is Christian or at least that they will be celebrating Chistmas in a secular way on Dec 25 (as opposed to being Muslim, Greek Orthodox. Wicca or other)




  1. Happy Chanukah (early or in proximity to Chanukah): They have wished me well appropriately for my holiday, I wish them a Merry Christmas. (It seems you can wish people Merry Christmas anywhere from Thanksgiving to New Years and Chanukah falls in that time frame.)

  2. Happy Chanukah (if it's already a couple weeks after): I add something to indicate the Holiday has passed like "Thank you, we had a really nice time with the family a couple weeks ago, Merry Christmas to you and your family

  3. Enjoy Your Holiday: "Thanks, you too"

  4. I hope your season is full of light: never encountered this one but I suppose I would respond like above since it's generic enough "Thanks, you too".

  5. Happy Holidays / Season's Greetings: Since "Season's Greetings" is an absolutely meaningless phrase, and don't need feel the need to exclude myself from yet another phrase devoid of specific meaning, I just say again "Thanks, you too"

  6. Happy New Year: I can accept New Years as an American holiday like Thanksgiving Day... - "Thanks, you too".

  7. Merry Christmas: If it's truly an acquaintance I will say, "Thanks but I don't celebrate Christmas, but you can wish me a Happy Chanukah" (if the timing is right). "Merry Christmas to you". If it's someone I don't know... and depending on my mood I've been known to be a smartaleck (like after waiting in line in a dept. store on Dec 24 and having heard the "King of Israel" song for the 10th time) I'll just respond with "Happy Chanukah" or "Happy Kwanza" (to a white person) to send a message not to assume all your shoppers celebrate Christmas.


Is there a right answer to this question?



No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...