Monday, April 16, 2018

gentiles - What should I be aware of when using the term "Jew"?


As a gentile who finds himself writing about Judaism in the ancient world, I've found myself reluctant to use the word "Jew". I tend to use phrases like "Jewish people" and "Hebrew" when it makes sense. Even writing this question makes me uneasy.


It turns out Google (of all organizations) explained this phenomena:



If you use Google to search for “Judaism,” “Jewish” or “Jewish people,” the results are informative and relevant. So why is a search for “Jew” different? One reason is that the word “Jew” is often used in an anti-Semitic context. Jewish organizations are more likely to use the word “Jewish” when talking about members of their faith. The word has become somewhat charged linguistically, as noted on websites devoted to Jewish topics such as these:




Someone searching for information on Jewish people would be more likely to enter terms like “Judaism,” “Jewish people,” or “Jews” than the single word “Jew” In fact, prior to this incident, the word “Jew” only appeared about once in every 10 million search queries.



With that background, does the Jewish community generally encourage the rehabilitation of the word "Jew" by it being used in non-anti-Semitic contexts? Are there cultural pitfalls to be warned about when using the word?



Answer



I can't speak for the Jewish community generally, but I, for one, do support the use of "Jew" in non-anti-Semitic contexts, consistent with my experience that this is, in fact, a standard use of the term to which Jews do not take offense and my general aversion to unjustified taboos.


I have been an English-speaking observant Jew for over three decades now, and in my experience, Jews tend to use the noun "Jew" all the time, with no pejorative intent.1 I do not recall ever seeing a Jew express offense at being referred to, or seeing another Jew referred to, by that term.


Pitfalls and notes to be aware of:




  • "Jew" as a verb or as an adjective (as opposed to "Jewish") are generally the sole provinces of anti-Semitic speech.





  • According to The American Heritage Dictionary (as well as other dictionaries surveyed at EL&U), the term "Jewess" for a female Jew is "widely regarded as offensive." I'm not sure if this is on grounds of anti-Jewish or anti-female prejudice. In any case, this is not a term I've seen used much at all in my experience. It's probably best avoided. On the other hand, unlike the non-noun usages of "Jew" I wouldn't take its use as strong evidence of anti-Semitic intent or context.




  • "Jew's harp" is a misnomer, but not offensive.






1. I believe I have seen a few instances of more secular Jews using the term "Jewish person" instead. The only one that I remember specifically was actually a Jewish character on a TV show whose writers may or may not have been Jewish. In fact, the fact that this usage struck me enough that I remembered enough about it many years later to be able to find the specific reference is further evidence of its rarity in my experience.



No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...