Tuesday, April 24, 2018

fft - How to combine bins of my DFT


I have a time series and apply the FFT to get a spectrum.


Let's assume that my sampling frequency and the length of the time sample are chosen such that I end up with a $\Delta f = 0.1$ Hz.


As this is still rather noisy, I'd like to change $\Delta f$ to 0.5 Hz a posteriori.


How do I combine the fourier components of the adjacent bins? Am I right to just sum them? Or do I take the square root of the sum of squares? Is there a term for what I am trying to achieve, so that I can find some references on my own?




No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...