Wednesday, April 25, 2018

particle と - だろうと how can I translate it?


I am reading The Little Prince in Japanese and I am not sure about how to translate だろうと in the following sentence:




大人たちにそう言われてから、今度はわかってくれるだろうとウワバミの中身を描いて見ました。



I don't know how to literally translate it, even if I understand the meaning of the sentence...



Answer



This と is the quotative-と. volition/inference + と can be used without any explicit following verb, and it means "thinking ...", "trying ...", "hoping ..." or such. だろう is part of the "quote."



今度はわかってくれるだろうと
=「今度はわかってくれるだろう」と思って
= ..., thinking/hoping (adults) will understand (the picture) this time, ...




Similar questions:



No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...