Saturday, March 4, 2017

physical chemistry - On the scale of stuff with a pH


I am a confused (and somewhat anal retentive) non-chemist who is trying to understand what pH is. I have come to understand it is a measure of acidity, but I have not yet figured out what that means to a precision that I find satisfying.


Please excuse me if these are dumb questions, but they will help me understand the definition:




Does everything have a pH? What is the scale that pH works upon? Does a proton have a pH? A quark? Does the sun have a pH? Does the Universe?





No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...