Wednesday, March 29, 2017

usage - How would I say "Get well soon"?


Last summer my family hosted a Japanese exchange student for two weeks, and we've kept in touch with her a lot. Unfortunately, about 2 months ago I found out she had Leukemia. She said she'll recover...but it'll take a long time (6 months according to her)



I know Japanese at an intermediate level, so it strikes me as odd I've never picked up the phrase "Get well soon". We're sending her a bunch of gifts and a card (and my family knows I'm the only one with any knowledge of Japanese), so they put it on me to write what goes inside of it.


Please help me not screw this up =x She's 16 turning 17 soon if that makes a big difference.



Answer



There are a couple of ways to say this.



体に気をつけてください → Please look after yourself
体をお大事に → Take care of yourself



However, given the severity of her illness, these sound casual, a little "flaky", and somewhat insincere. Here are a few that are better.




ご自愛を祈ります → Please take good care of yourself / your health.
ご全快の一日も早いことをお祈りいたします → I hope you will get well soon. / I hope you will soon be restored to health.



No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...