Friday, January 27, 2017

translation - Meaning of ほうなんで?


It is a "simple" sentence, but I can't find any information how I should parse and interpret this part.



これでも用心深いほうなんでね。




Answer



Do you already know how to make a comparison using ほう and より in Japanese? If not, please learn it first.



The sentence in question is an extension of this. While there is no explicit comparison target marked with ~より, this ほう still means "comparatively" or "relatively".




これでも用心深いほうなんでね。
Despite my appearance, (if one has to categorize me either as a cautious or as a careless person,) I'm comparatively a cautious person, you know.
I'm a more cautious person than I may look, you know.



これでも (literally "even with this") is a set phrase, "although you may think otherwise" or "although I may not look like it".


Similar examples:




  • このケーキは甘いほうだ。 This cake is relatively sweet.


  • 私はよく寝るほうです。 I'm relatively a good sleeper.

  • あまりテレビは見ないほうです。 I'm not a kind of person who watches TV often.



Related:



No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...