Friday, April 13, 2018

kashrut kosher - How to respond to "but he does"


I mentioned to my coworker that I can't eat Domino's pizza, not even without meat, as it's not kosher. He pointed out in response that a fellow coworker of ours, whom I'll call Josh, and who is somewhat observant and calls himself Orthodox[1], does eat Domino's without meat. I replied that I can't speak for Josh. Any ideas on what I should have replied?




[1] By "calls himself Orthodox" I don't mean that I disagree. (I don't.) I mean merely that that's his self-identification.




Answer



I think your response was correct, and agree also with @LazerA's elaboration on it.


There is one thing that I would sometimes add, depending on context (and probably would not apply for you anyway) - I admit that in some circumstances, I do not know enough of the details - whether it be of the way the kitchen is run (as @Will mentioned) or more often simply because I am not well-versed enough as much as I should be, in all the minutiae of the relevant halachot.


So, instead of risking it (or spending the time to find out for this specific situation while I'm hungry), I'd rather go for the less-risky and lower-effort route of just not eating there. Josh, on the other hand, might know something I don't know - but we each have to act according to the limits of our own knowledge (or rely on someone we trust), and I might be more limited in this case (though I might not).


I just dont care enough about eating at Dominos, that it would make it worth it to me. On the other hand, if I needed to, I would spend the time to find out.


No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...