Friday, July 14, 2017

translation - nowa , to in the phrase "kimi o shiawase ni dekiru nowa boku dake da to shinjite imashita"


I'm trying to make sense of this phrase to me



君を幸せにできるのは僕だけだと信じていました。
Kimi o shiawase ni dekiru nowa boku dake da to shinjite imashita.




which I found translated as



I always believed I was the only one who could make you happy.



"kimi o shiawase ni dekiru" is "be able to make you happy" or something like that


shinjite imashita is "believed"


"boku dake da" , "I just am" (I suppose)


Question is, is the "who" given by some word or particles (such as nowa) or is it just the structure of the sentence who puts a "who" when translated there , and which meanings/functions have the "nowa" and "to" particles here?



Answer




The 'no' in 'nowa' can be thought of as the pronoun 'one'. Your familiar with phrases like 'aoi no ga hoshii desu' = 'I want the blue one' right?


This 'one' pronoun is modified by the relative clause 'kimi o shiawase ni dekiru'. And then the whole lot is made into a topic with 'wa'. So "The one who can make you happy" is the topic of the sentence.


'kimi o shiawase ni dekiru' kind of works like the adjective 'aoi' in that it modifies 'one' and tells you what kind of 'one' the person is talking about.


We could have translated the example as "I want the one which is blue", to which you might legitimately ask 'where did the which come from?. It's the same with 'who' in your example.


If you still can't see where the 'who' comes from try this link, or just check out 'relative clauses' in general.


For the last part of your question, the particle 'to' translates to 'that'.It marks quotes (direct and indirect). "I believed that I was the only one ...".


No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...