Sunday, July 30, 2017

tefilla - Is the Koren Sacks Nusach Sefard truly nusach ha'Ari?


Koren came out with a KSS version in 'nusach Sefard.'


Is this the nusach of ha'Ari? I'm not too familiar with nusach Sefard/nusach ha'Ari. I like Koren's layout and aesthetics, and I've used their nusach Chakhmei Maroko (Avoteinu) siddur and love it. I've used both sefardi and azkenazi siddurim (family is moroccan and lithuanian) and am interested in the Ari's concept of a 13th gate for people like me, but I want to make sure I'm using his nusach. If the Koren edition isn't the Ari's nusach, is his available anywhere?



Answer



The Koren Sacks Siddur is Nusach Sepharad, that is to say, the "Spanish-Portuguese" rite. Nusach Sefard is a variant similar to Ari which bears more similarity to Edot HaMizrach and Ashkenaz to Sepharad. The main differentiating point between Sepharad and Sefard is in Kabbalat Shabbat; in Sepharad, Bameh Madlikin is said, whereas in Sefard, and by extension other kabbalistic nuschaot, Kigavnah and Razah D'shabbat are said. In summation, Koren does not have a Sefard or Ari siddur, the only company that I know of who does is Kehot.


No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...