Saturday, July 29, 2017

words - What's the difference between 治す{なおす} and 治る{なおる}?


My dictionary says they are both cure/fix, so I am wondering what the difference is and how to use them?


Is it an active/passive difference, or transitive/intransitive? Or just a subtle nuance? I couldn't find a good example of usage.


I found this question, but it just refers to the different kanji, not the different words.


Thanks



Answer



治す is transitive.




傷を治す
to heal a wound


ほとんどの病気は薬を使わずに治すことができる。
Most ailments can be cured without medicine.



治る is intransitive.



風邪が治った
my cold got better



傷が治らないので、私はまた病院に行った。
My wound did not heal, so I visited the hospital again.



No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...