Friday, July 7, 2017

organic chemistry - Mechanism for ring contraction from 2-methylenecyclobutanol to 1-methylcyclopropanecarbaldehyde


enter image description here


I am stuck between two paths. I was going to protonate the alcohol to give a better leaving group, leaving a 2 degree carbocation and then go on with a hydride shift. But, I'm not sure what that may turn out to look like, and when exactly the ring is supposed to contract. Or, I was going to have the alkene attack the acid, but after that I wouldn't know what to do with the alcohol.




No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...