Wednesday, November 7, 2018

grammar - What is 〜からです and when is it used? How does it differ from 〜ですから and 〜んです?


I have seen this expression a few times, and have never quite understood it. In particular, it seems to be equatable both to ですから and to んです, but I can't figure out where it would be used over either of those two expressions. Here is an example I found on Google:



新聞{しんぶん}に目{め}を通{とお}していないと、仕事{しごと}が成立{せいりつ}しないからです




I believe this translates to "Since I haven't been skimming the newspaper, I do not have a job." (but I am not sure, and please correct me if I'm wrong).


What does the からです mean in this sentence? And more importantly, when is it appropriate to use, and how does it differ from ですから and んです?



Answer




And more importantly, when is it appropriate to use,



Almost always, although it may sound a little bit informal. When asked "なぜ" or "どうして", you'd answer with からです。



なぜ遅れていますか?



なぜなら、目覚まし時計が壊れていたからです。



(Why are you late? Because my alarm clock is broken)



and how does it differ from ですから and んです?



ですから is a connective, not a final part. "Aですから、B". If there's no B coming afterwards, thenn there's a problem. It's a bit like "since" in English. You don't just say "Since I like ice cream," but you say "(B) I bought an ice cream (A) since I like ice cream."


んです is "のです" used more colloquially. It's like からです, and (in "のです" form) more formal. Also more common, as far as I can tell.


No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...