Saturday, November 24, 2018

bayesian estimation - Kalman Filter Covariance


I've recently started playing with the Kalman filter for a simple 2D (x,y,dx,dy) tracking toy problem. But I seem to have some misunderstanding on what I can expect from the filter. I'm interested in plotting the uncertainty ellipse from the corrected covariance matrix but noticed a few observations:




  • The covariance decreases to a steady state regardless of how much error I introduce into the measurement.





  • The variance for x and y are exactly the same even though I introduce more measurement errors in y.




Staring at the maths for a bit it seems that this is how the vanilla Kalman Filter works. What I'm expecting is the opposite of the two points mentioned above. In the end I want to plot an uncertainty ellipse that reflects the error I'm observing. Is this possible at all? Do I have to do some post processing on the covariance matrix?


ANSWER:


It occurred to me what I needed was a Kalman Filter that has the ability to adapt its covariance. I found this paper that details a few different methods to do this.


http://www.gmat.unsw.edu.au/snap/publications/almagbile_etal2010a.pdf




No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...