Thursday, May 24, 2018

word choice - How to exhaustively list predicates in a non-temporal way?



Supposing that you want to express a list of events or actions exhaustively and without significance in ordering (for example: Yesterday, I ate some ice cream, went to the store, and read a book, but those things weren't necessarily done in sequence), what are the possible grammar constructions that can be used? These are some possibilities I've seen:




  • → This seems too temporal to me; that is, it seems like all events are sequential. Can the て-form be used without time relations or restrictions?

  • たり → This seems like it would work, but I don't know how exhaustive it is, since it seems to imply somethings might have been left out.

  • Stem (連用中止法) → Not sure about this one. What is the proper way to use this? I believe this is similar to the て-Form.

  • そ(う)して → I think this simple conjuction works, but it seems slightly tiresome if one is listing many actions.



I hope this question isn't being too open. I'm just looking for some opinions and explanations for the different grammatical constructs that could be used in these types of expressions.





No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...