Monday, May 28, 2018

analytical chemistry - How do I figure out how many hydrogens my compound actually has using a mass and NMR spectrum?


Question 3:



enter image description here




It said $m/z = 122,$ and $m/z = 124$ is in a $3:1$ ratio, so I figured that meant that chlorine is present. Then I thought $m/z$ was the actual compound's molecular mass.


So I used the rule of 13, and did:


Chlorine's molar mass = 35


122 - 35 = 87


Using the rule of 13


87/13 = 6C + 9H/13


So the molecular formula is $\ce{C6H9Cl}.$ But the integral values I rounded are: 2,2,2,2 and 3 adding up to 11. Did I use the wrong mass to charge ratio? What am I missing?




No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...