Monday, May 21, 2018

grammar - What happens if なの is used, but not at the end of a sentence?



大学から歩いてニ十分ぐらいの所に適当なのを見つけた。



What does it mean when なの is used in a sentence like the one above? The を that comes after it is really throwing me off.


I came across a similar question on here but all the examples and explanations relate to なの being used as a way to end a sentence. What confuses me the most is なの in the sentence I came across isn't being used to end it. Should I just apply the answers provided in the link I found to this sentence or is there something more to it?


Edit: I was asked to provide more context to the sentence above, so here's the whole sentence:



キャンパスの近くには,安くていいアパー卜がなくて、結局、大学から歩いてニ十分ぐらいの所に適当なのを見つけた。





Answer



It's not なの but adj-な + の


You might remember this construct from your (very) early Japanese lessons:



赤いのをください


Please give me the red one.



This is the same, except it's with a 'na-adjective'.



[簡単]{かんたん}なのをください



Please give me an easy one.



Hence, 適当なのを見つけた。 means 'I found a suitable one.'


'In a place twenty minutes' walk away from the university, I found a suitable one.' We need more context to know what 'one' refers to here.


No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...