Tuesday, July 4, 2017

matlab - Is sift a good way to extract features from an image?


I am trying to extract features from an image, but I have failed to get the points that I want to extract, and hence my image fails to match with the template.


Are there any checkpoints that I have to go through before applying SIFT to my image so that I get good results? For example the template image is;
enter image description here


targeted image; enter image description here



Answer




What you are supposed to do when matching a template to an image using sift is to run sift against your template and then look for those sift features in that arrangement in your scene.


Rule of thumb: Compare like to like.


Sift(Template) Contained Within Sift(Image)


You cannot tune Sift to extract the "features you want" Sift *uses invariant measures to find features that it believes are most salient. (*Chris A)


If you want it to find particular features from your template make smaller templates of those features and search for them.


Just a suggestion. I do not know exactly what type of template you are trying to fit to what type of scene or image.


No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...