Monday, July 10, 2017

halacha - Greetings during Prayer


In light of YDK's answer here, Halacha permits one to greet and sometimes return greetings to other people at different times during prayer when other interruptions would otherwise be prohibited. (See there for sources.)


My question is: often after returning someone's greeting, he may continue to start a conversation with me. At this point can I:




  • Continue the conversation if it seems brief? (unlikely)

  • Tell him respectfully that I am in the middle of prayers and cannot speak now?

  • Only motion that I am busy because the only talking that is permitted is the word 'hello'?


Since the reason the greetings were permitted here (I imagine) is to to avoid offending anyone, I'm guessing 2 is correct. Any ideas?




No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...