Monday, July 10, 2017

grammar - Word order of actions when using nagara (while)?


I am studying Japanese using the Michel Thomas Method. It says you can use nagara to show that one action happens while another occurs.


It then gives the following example:



nominagara shigoto o shimashita
I drank while I worked / I drank while working



konban sushi o resutoran de tabenagara Nihon no tomodachi to hanashimasu
Tonight I will eat sushi in a Japanese restaurant while I talk with my Japanese friend.


tabenagara terebi o mimasu
I eat while I watch TV / I eat while watching TV


koko no resutoran ga suki desu kara shigoto o shinagara koko de tabemashita
Because I like the restaurants round here, I ate here while I worked.



The last one really confuses me. In all the others, the order of the actions in the English translation mirrors the Japanese.


However, in the last one, the English translations mentions eating first and then work, whereas in the Japanese it's the other way around.


Is there are a reason for this, or, like most things in Japanese, does the order not matter?




Answer



The verb in the ながら clause is always secondary to the main verb in the sentence. To take the example from the excellent book 'A Dictionary of Basic Japanese Grammar' by Seiichi Makino and Michio Tsutsui, If you were told



ちょっと話がしたいんですが。
I'd like to have a little talk with you



You could answer in two ways



A) じゃ、コーヒーを飲みながら話しましょう。
Then, lets talk while we drink coffee



B) じゃ、話しながらコーヒーを飲みましょう。
Let's drink coffee while we talk



Both responses would be fine in English, but in Japanese the main verb is about talking because that's what the original sentence was about. Therefore only response A) is appropriate. Drinking coffee is secondary to the main action of talking.


In your last example, the man is talking about liking the restaurants around here, so the main action would be about eating or drinking in them. Working there is secondary to the main theme, i.e. things to do with restaurants.


No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...