Friday, November 9, 2018

What are the particular words for the first iteration of things?


Does anyone know the sorts of items for whose first iteration Japanese people have special names? The only example I can remember at the moment is for the first leader or, to be precise, (and reveal the place I learned it), the first Hokage, 初代. Google Translate gives me a vast number of words, all essentially forms of "progenitor," for that particular kanji combination.



So, are there other "first" things for which Japanese people have special names? I'm aware that the Japanese culture places special importance on the first of anything, e.g., the first sunrise of the year, so I was hoping someone could list the Japanese names of a few of the more famous such things. Looking at counter dictionaries online hasn't helped me find any, and I've now (possibly mistakenly) come to realize that these names are independent of the counter system.




No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...