Saturday, November 3, 2018

acid base - How do I calculate the degree of dissociation in equilibrium?


In my textbook, for calculating the percentage dissociation of $\ce{HF}$ for the given equation: $$\ce{HF + H2O <=> H3O+ + F-}$$


The solution is:


Initial Concentrations $$[\ce{HF}] = 0.08~\mathrm{M}, \: \ce{[H3O+]} = 0, \:\ce{[F- ]}= 0$$ Equilibrium concentrations $$[\ce{HF}] = 0.08~\mathrm{M} - x, \: \ce{[H3O+]} = x, \:\ce{[F- ]}= x$$


I am not able to undestand why $x$ is subtracted from 0.08 and not $cx$ [ where $x$ is the degree of dissociation]


I tried solving the same problem taking $cx$ but not able to get the solution, can anybody explain the difference to me? I have tried asking a similar question earlier too but it is really hard for me to get my head around this concept.




No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...