Thursday, July 12, 2018

translation - Translating: "一人でも多くの方にコメントしていただけたら嬉 しいので "


I have about a semester of Japanese under my belt, so my ability to read the language is 'not great,' especially when it comes to getting any kind of nuance out of a statement. At the moment, I'm working on translating:




一人でも多くの方にコメントしていただけたら嬉しいので



My current attempts to parse this:



  • 一人 でも 多くの - One person, but, many, (no) -- "But many individual's..." Maybe? Perhaps the de is part of the first word:

  • 一人で も 多くの - By oneself/voluntarily, more/again, many (nominalized) -- "In the future, voluntarily [do something repeatedly]..."

  • 方 に - From what I can tell, the likely candidates are for 方 are for it to be pronounced 'hou' and to mean 'direction,' or for it to be pronounced 'kata' and either mean 'direction' or possibly be a way to say 'lady' or gentleman.' The latter seems likely enough, given that the person who wrote this is apparently prone to such word uses.

  • コメント して いただけたら 嬉しいので - comments, by/as, to be good/exquisite or 'potentially receive', happy


So my feeble attempt to read this settles on something like: "I would be happy if you ladies and gentleman were to voluntarily leave more comments in the future."



If anyone more seasoned can offer their translation, I'd be much obliged. Any commentary on how to parse the original statement would surely be enlightening.



Answer



"Even it were just one (that'd be OK, but), Because I'd be happy if I can get a lot of people to (make a) comment..."



  • 一人でも → Even if just one

  • 多くの方(かた)→ many people (polite form for people)

  • にコメントしていただけたら → make comment for me / get them to make a comment (for me); 〜ていたたく is humble speech for someone higher than yourself doing something for you and always uses に (for @phoenixheart6's confusion). いただけたら is the suppositional of the potential form -- if I can have it done by someone higher than me

  • 嬉しい → (be) happy

  • ので → XのでY means "because of X, Y"; I ended my translation in an ellipsis because there's no proceeding clause, so we don't know what they're going to say.



By the way, I think this is a very good example of a "translation question" done right. You showed your research, tried to break down each part, but had trouble connecting the overall meaning. Good job!


No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...