Friday, July 20, 2018

grammar - 私に言われても versus 私が言われても


I am aware that "言われる" means "to be told". My impression would be that "私に言われても" means "Even if I told you..." while "私が言われても" means "Even if I am told...".


But this site answer seems to suggest that another interpretation of "私に言われても" is "Even if I am told..."


Is that a correct interpretation, and, if possible to explain, why?



Answer



言われても is Suffering Passive (迷惑の受身), a kind of Indirect Passive Structure (間接受身構文), and 私言われても is Direct Passive Structure (直接受身構文).


「(あなたが)私に言う」 (Active/能動) "You tell me."
→ Direct Passive: 「私が(あなたに)言われる」 "I am told (by you)."

→ Indirect Passive: 「(私が)(あなたに)私に*言われる」 "You tell me (and it affects me in some way)." This means "You do the action 私言う (you tell me) and it affects me or I am suffered/annoyed, etc." *The に marks the indirect object of 言う.


So... yes, that is a correct interpretation, and 「私言われても(困る)...」 is actually far more natural and more common than 「私言われても...」 for saying "Even if I'm told / Even if you tell me (I can't do anything)..."


For more about Indirect Passive, you could refer to:



No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...