Sunday, July 8, 2018

grammar - When do you mark きょう or other similar relative time expressions with は


I've been trying to make proper sentences using the word きょう when I realized that I'm not really actually sure when I'm suppose to mark it with は. I know relative time expressions tend to stand alone meaning it's not followed by に and because of this its not uncommon for it to be followed directly by another word with no particle in between. This is where I start to get confused however when I see a sentence like this one



明日{あした}きます



and then a sentence like this



今日{きょう}は 京都{きょうと}に いきます



I'm pretty sure the reason I'm having a hard time understanding this is due to my terrible understanding of は, regardless any help on when I should mark a time like this with は and when it would be better left unmarked would be appreciated.




Answer




1) 今日、京都に行きます。
2) 今日、京都に行きます。/ 京都に、今日行きます。



I would use #1, with a stress on 京都, as a reply to "Where will you go today?" or "What will you do today?", and #2, with a stress on 今日, as a reply to "When will you go to Kyoto?" Here, the は is the topic particle. 今日は in #1 and 京都には in #2 are old information (既知情報), and 京都に(行きます) in #1 and 今日 or 今日行きます in #2 are new information (新情報).


You would use #1 in a conversation like this:



(on the phone)
A: もしもし。今日、暇?今から遊びに来ない?

B: あ、ごめん、今日京都に行くから無理。(not just 今日)





The は can also be the contrastive particle. For example:



1') 昨日は大阪に行きました。(でも、)今日京都に行きます。
I went to Osaka yesterday. (But) today, I will go to Kyoto.
1") 今日、京都に行きます。 (with a stress on 今日は)
Today, I am going to Kyoto (but on another day I didn't / won't go there).






When I just tell someone that I am going to Kyoto on that day (i.e. when 今日 and 京都 are both new information), I would use:



2') 今日、京都に行きます。(without a stress on 今日)



for example, in a context like this:



(on the phone)
母: もしもし。
娘: あ、お母はん?あのさ、今日、京都行くねんけど、なんか伊勢丹で[買]{こ}うてきてほしいもんとかある? (not 今日は.)




No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...