Tuesday, July 3, 2018

grammar - What is the difference between でなくand ではなく?


This is the sentence I have just read:



外国へ行くとしたら、ただの旅行ではなく、勉強を 目的として 行きたい。 If I ever have a chance to go abroad then I would like to go to study rather than just travel.



The は feels intuitively correct but what purpose does it serve? There are a number of expressions without the は:




~だけでなく…によっても広められている be popularized not only by ~ but also by


~が必要でなくとも although not in need of


[愛]{あい}でなくてなんだろう if it is not love, what is it? (possibly 愛ではなく、なんだろう?)



I can't explain why は is/is not necessary in these expressions (apart from "these are 決まり文句" but I wanted to get a better understanding than that if possible).


I should be very grateful for any insights.



Answer



As you may already know は is considered the topic marker. Adding は puts emphasis on the denial aspect and what becomes before ではなく is generally the topic of the sentence, omitting は makes what comes after でなく the focus of the sentence.


A more literal translation of your sentence would be:




If I ever go abroad, I don't want to travel for just pleasure, I would like to go to study.



The emphasis is on the denial aspect.


No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...