Wednesday, July 11, 2018

grammar - Addressing strangers without knowing the name


How does one address a stranger in a casual conversation when name is unknown? For example, I had a conversation with an older Japanese lady and I wanted to compliment her on her English (but in Japanese, for some reason). Usually in such situations I might've gone something like




○○さんは英語上手です。 or ○○さんの英語は上手です。 



But without the name it is quite difficult for me at this point. Using あなた feels really rude, neither I'm comfortable relying on zero-pronoun and going 英語は上手です without any context.


Should I inquire about person's name in such situations? (obviously, not right before I have a sentence to use the name in).



Answer



As YangMuye explained, honorifics can be used to clarify first and second person without ever needing to use a first or second person pronoun. In that, usage of 謙譲語{けんじょうご} implies I'm talking about me. Usage of 尊敬語{そんけいご} implies I am talking about you.


An extended discussion about this topic can be read on the thread titled そちら as a second person pronoun. As far as I can understand, that thread can fully explain your question.


No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...