Thursday, July 12, 2018

acid base - How does dilution affect result of titration of jam?


We currently do some pH adjustments of jams (target pH of 3.2) using citric acid, however, when there is a large difference between the starting pH and the target pH this can be quite a time consuming process (add to vessel, mix, take sample, repeat).


It's been a long time since I've done chemistry, but I believe that because the pKa of the citric acid is close to the target pH and the jams are a complex mix of buffering agents that it isn't easy to come up with a simple formula for the amount to add (in fact, I observe, even at a similar starting pH, the amount of citric acid required varies a lot).


My idea was to titrate citric acid into a sample of jam that has been diluted with distilled water for easier mixing:




  • Jam @ 50% dilution

  • Citric Acid dissolved at a ratio of 1:9 in distilled water


My thought is that if I keep taking samples and titrating the citric acid with the diluted Jam that I will get a nice correlation between the titration amount and the amount of citric acid required to add to the batch.


My question is:



  • Will this produce a nice correlation?

  • Is it possible to do this theoretically?


Thanks,





No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...