Friday, August 25, 2017

syntax - I have porridge for breakfast



みなさん!


I'm supposed to prepare a small speech for an oral exam I have on Monday based on the meals of the day. I'm just a bit confused as to what the correct structure would be;



  1. 私は朝ごはんにオートミールを食べます。

  2. 朝ごはんはオートミールをたべます。


And a side question porridge = オートミール ?


The doubt I have is that our 先生 hasn't taught us the grammar for the first phrase, so I'm not sure he'd be happy with me using that one. Cheers in advance guys!


ありがとうございます!



Answer




For porridge where it is assumed that it is 'oatmeal porridge', オートミール would be fine. Porridge and オートミール are not synonymous though.


Porridge as a general, all-encompassing term is ポリッジ.
Rice porridge is 粥{かゆ}, or more commonly お粥{おかゆ}.



(私は)朝ごはんはオートミールを食べます。For breakfast, I eat oatmeal (porridge).
(私は)朝ごはんはポリッジを食べます。For breakfast, I eat (unspecified) porridge.
(私は)朝ごはんはお粥を食べます。For breakfast, I eat rice porridge.



Don't be overly concerned about the above sentences using two は particles.


No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...