Sunday, February 26, 2017

usage - Verbs + ところ / Verbs + とこ / Verbs + ばかり


I learnt:



  • 食べるところ:about to eat.

  • 食べているところ:in the middle of eating.

  • 食べたところ:just ate.

  • 食べたばかり:just ate.



I would like to know if I can change ところ for とこ in spoken language.


and if there is any difference between 食べたところ and 食べたばかり. which one is more rude, or more polite; and if I can use both in any situation.



Answer



~たところ and ~たばかり both mean "just did X". I was always taught that ~たところ means "I just did X and haven't done anything else", whereas ~たばかり means "I just did X (but could've been a little while ago)." The "scope" of the event can determine the recentness.


例文




  • 昼食を食べたところだ。 → I just ate lunch (right now).



  • (午後3:00) 昼食食べたばかりなんで、眠たい。 → (At 3:00pm) I just ate lunch (even though it was several hours ago), so now I'm sleepy.




  • (隣の人に車を見せながら) 新しい車買ったところやで! → (Show his neighbor) I just bought this new car (as in just came home from the dealership)!



  • (電車の改札口で) 森内さん、回数券多いね。新しい車買ったばかりじゃない? → (At the ticket gate for the train) Moriuchi, you sure do have a lot of commuter (train) tickets. Didn't you just buy a new car? (could have been several days or even a few weeks ago).



No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...