Monday, February 20, 2017

translation - What does "子役の闇" mean?


a few days ago I find out that the term "子役の闇" exist, but I can't quite understand its meaning. I have seen it used on places like twitter and 2ch but it seems there's no English equivalent for this. I guess a literal translation would be something like "The desperation of the child actor" or something along those lines but I'm not sure about it and I don't think it makes much sense in English.


Can someone help me out?


Thanks



Answer




闇{やみ} is often colloquially used to mean "deep, dark secrets"."unknown, unseen side (negative)" or "the dark side".


So in your example, 子役{こやく}の闇{やみ} means the "the dark side of child actors". People would use that when discussing bad things happening in the child actor industry.


There is also a term [N]の闇{やみ}が深{ふか}い, meaning [N] has some dark secret, or sometimes just that there is something doesn't seems quite right (and therefore there must be some deep, dark secret somewhere).


No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...