Thursday, February 23, 2017

number - 420 Noachide Commandments?


I know there are seven specific commandments to noachides but recently I was talking to a Rabbi who told me actually noachides have 420 commandments and the Jewish nation has 613. Can anyone point me to where I can find these 420 commandments he spoke of? Was he just making something up or is there somewhere I can read these? I am aware they are in the Torah but I would like to find them ordered if there is already a list someone is aware of.



Answer



I remember a PHD thesis (I think by Rabbi Lichtenstein, but I will have to find it) in which he stated that the 7 are actually categories, each of which consists of a number of different mitzvos (as far as making a link with the Torah goes). For example, there is the category of theft which can be broken down it individual mitzvos.


No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...