Saturday, September 16, 2017

Why are there multiple katakana readings for a single kanji?



When I look at a kanji word I see one, or multiple Hiragana pronunciations (or should I call it translation?) - sometimes the pronunciations are for different kanjis, but that's not the question.


I've been reading this article on tofugu, but there are still some issues I'd like to ask about.


Sometimes I see more than 10 different katakana readings for a single kanji. Why is this?


Also, why are there some readings given as katakana, even though (if I understand correctly) katakana is used for non-Japanese (Chinese?) words?




No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...