Monday, September 18, 2017

translation - Difference between 黒齣 and 黒駒


I'm trying to figure out if there's a difference in meaning/translation between



黒齣



and




黒駒



image of unknown character


I've attached an image just to make sure that I didn't accidently look up the wrong character (I'm 99% sure it's the correct one but still).


A bit of context: both show up on black background. There is no further context to be given.


The first one I've seen translated as black scene, which makes sense because according to this, 齣 can mean either frame or scene in this context.


For the second one, the translation was also black scene but I'm not entirely sure if it's indeed correct. I think I found the correct character (here and here), but translations like horse or shogi piece just don't make any sense to me.


I have the feeling they both mean the same, but I just want to make sure.



Answer





it shouldn't matter which game/animation



Yes it does matter. Even native Japanese speakers cannot explain the interpretation of such a rare word without knowing where you saw it.


黒齣 is not a regular word. As @broccoliforest suggests, googling it points to one specific anime called 化物語. I checked the first episode, and found that it heavily uses flashing typograms of seemingly random archaic words. 黒齣 is one of them. Meaning-wise, it should mean "a frame filled with black", but I don't know if it's a real word or a made-up word of Akiyuki Shindo. Either way, I bet you won't see this word again outside this anime.


Regarding 黒駒, it's not an ordinary word, either. If you saw it in a work related to 化物語, it's natural to assume it's just a typo for 黒齣. 齣 is a fairly rare kanji, so it is no wonder if someone mixed it with 駒.


No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...