Monday, September 18, 2017

translation - Difference between 黒齣 and 黒駒


I'm trying to figure out if there's a difference in meaning/translation between



黒齣



and




黒駒



image of unknown character


I've attached an image just to make sure that I didn't accidently look up the wrong character (I'm 99% sure it's the correct one but still).


A bit of context: both show up on black background. There is no further context to be given.


The first one I've seen translated as black scene, which makes sense because according to this, can mean either frame or scene in this context.


For the second one, the translation was also black scene but I'm not entirely sure if it's indeed correct. I think I found the correct character (here and here), but translations like horse or shogi piece just don't make any sense to me.


I have the feeling they both mean the same, but I just want to make sure.



Answer





it shouldn't matter which game/animation



Yes it does matter. Even native Japanese speakers cannot explain the interpretation of such a rare word without knowing where you saw it.


黒齣 is not a regular word. As @broccoliforest suggests, googling it points to one specific anime called 化物語. I checked the first episode, and found that it heavily uses flashing typograms of seemingly random archaic words. 黒齣 is one of them. Meaning-wise, it should mean "a frame filled with black", but I don't know if it's a real word or a made-up word of Akiyuki Shindo. Either way, I bet you won't see this word again outside this anime.


Regarding 黒駒, it's not an ordinary word, either. If you saw it in a work related to 化物語, it's natural to assume it's just a typo for 黒齣. 齣 is a fairly rare kanji, so it is no wonder if someone mixed it with 駒.


No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...