Saturday, October 21, 2017

definitions - Meaning of 〜あれだ


Recently I encountered this phrase:



_____ってあれだよね




What is あれ in this context? Is the speaking making a positive or negative statement about ___?



Answer



I have also ran into this phrase and now I kind of understand its meaning though, getting used to applying it to the correct scenario is very tricky indeed. I still can't.


The instance of this phrase that I remember, is from when we were waiting for somebody to finish something:



今のところ、◯◯さん待ちです。



To which ◯◯さん answered:



ちょっと、◯◯さん待ちって言われても、あれだよね…




Which I guess could be translated into something along the lines of:



Hey, saying that you all are waiting for me, (...vagueness...) you know.



Where the vagueness could imply something like: "you're putting pressure on me", "is kind of, you know?".


EDIT: Added some hints of what the vagueness could mean. Thanks @deceze :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

periodic trends - Comparing radii in lithium, beryllium, magnesium, aluminium and sodium ions

Apparently the of last four, $\ce{Mg^2+}$ is closest in radius to $\ce{Li+}$. Is this true, and if so, why would a whole larger shell ($\ce{...